Sunday, March 17, 2013

JEWISH MOTHER SPEAKS OUT ABOUT CIRCUMCISION



http://youtu.be/HfnqN3YgTd8
“…for a few years after that I could not even articulate the trauma that I felt as a mother having witnessed this rite on my babies…. [I]t was many years later that I finally took a step to start learning about circumcision and I was devastated. I was really beyond devastated. And my heart has never been whole since…

Circumcision is trauma. I was told that foreskin was just a little flap of skin. That’s a lie. I was told that it is simply redundant, useless tissue. That’s a lie. I was told that it’s basically painless. That’s a lie. I was told, because babies don’t remember the pain, therefore, it’s inconsequential. That’s a big lie…

I know now that the foreskin is essential, highly-enervated sexual tissue, and that taking it away matters – for life. I know that the foreskin covers up to one-half of an adult males’ erect penis. I know that when that tissue is taken away that the glans – the head of the penis – becomes externalized, which it was not designed to be. As a result it becomes desensitized. It loses its mucosal covering. It becomes thickened and keratinized. That man experiences a secondary loss of sensitivity which grows greater the older he gets. I also know that trauma to neonates is highly significant. We now know that the cortisol levels in the amygdala rise measurably and acutely during a circumcision and they do not go back to baseline on day 1 after a circumcision. They do not go back to baseline during the first week, nor after the first month, nor after six months. So circumcision is altering neurological response. And that’s very serious…

None of this is a mitzvah. And we need to think very seriously about who is defining the sacred in Judaism and why people feel compelled to repeat what really is sexual abuse and torture of our baby boys…

I don’t know how anyone who can witness a baby experiencing this cannot understand that this is excruciating pain..."