Photo by Patti Ramos - http://PattiRamos.com
1. Pitocin may double your chances of having a C-section.
2. Pitocin is likely to increase the pain of contractions immensely and will make the uterus operate more like a trash compactor than a birth canal. Unlike normal labor, during which contractions are spaced minutes apart and there are intervals of rest in between, with pitocin, the surges come one on top of another, with no rest for the uterus, mother or baby. Contractions are much stronger and more painful with pitocin, and may even cause uterine hemorrhage. This level of intensity will not only hurt the mother (and make her much more likely to beg for an epidural), but will also hurt the baby.
3. Pitocin is synthetic oxytocin. When introduced during labor, it will undermine the body's ability to produce natural oxytocin (the hormone and love, bonding, and well-being) -- and will therefore undermine family bonding and love.
4. Pitocin has been known to cause neonatal seizures, central nervous system disorders, and brain damage in infants.
Pitocin - A Commonly Used Drug In Childbirth - What's Wrong With It?
5. There are a growing number of doctors who willfully engage in the practice of "Pit to Distress" -- i.e., ordering nurses to turn the pitocin drip all the way up in order to INTENTIONALLY CREATE DISTRESS IN BABIES AND MOVE MORE QUICKLY TO C-SECTION.
Pit to Distress in the Unncesarean
Nurse’s blog - Pit to Distress: A Disturbing Reality
6. Pitocin is now being linked to the rising rates of ADHD and Autism in western society.
New Risk for ADHD Identified - Use of Pitocin During Labor
Researchers Look in the First Environment - The Womb
KEEP IT SAFE. AVOID THE USE OF PITOCIN IN LABOR WHENEVER POSSIBLE.